September 7, 2010

McKenzie River Trail MTB Ride, August 2, 2010

This trail, roughly near Eugene, is one of the most famous mountain bike accessible trails in the West.  People come from all over to ride it.  Since it's so near, and since it's rated at my difficulty level, I figured it was time to check it out.  I didn't have all day, didn't have a shuttle, and wasn't up to the more difficult upper reaches of the 26 mile trail (reputed to have lots of technically challenging riding on sharp lava flow rocks).  So I just did an out about back of the lower portion of the trail.  I was pleasantly unsurprised- the trail almost feels built for bikes, and is located in a beautiful protected area.  And the weather was great that day- just perfectly warm.

The wonderfully smooth and flowing trail was fast and fun.  Very well maintained and managed (no ruts from riding in wet weather).


Riding through big log cut in half:


It's nice to have a long legged bike- it fits me well.  It has 29 inch wheels, instead of the normal 26 inch wheels on a mountain bike.  A very smooth ride, even though there's no rear suspension.  Here it is with some huge cedar and Doug Firs.  Another little slice of heaven on earth!


I hope you enjoyed, and I wish you could have enjoyed it as much as I did.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!