April 29, 2010

Angel's Rest and Devil's Rest Dayhike, January 2010

Here are photos from a dayhike I took in January.  I started at Wahkeena Falls, then walked up to a small hill on top of a high ridge, called Devil's Rest.  From there I walked down unofficial, unmaintained trails to a rocky outcrop over the Columbia River called Angel's Rest.

Here are some nice old trees on the ridge leading up to Devil's Rest:


After walking through nice forest for quite a while, I came to several viewpoints.  The weather was mostly cloudy.  Winds from the west were pushing clouds up and over the mid level rim of the Gorge.  There are no views at Devil's Rest, though it is a pleasant spot.  


I arrived at Angel's Rest shortly before sunset, as clouds were beginning to clear up:



At the far end of the outcrop, I took in views of Portland, Gresham, and Camas to the West:


And to the East, I saw Cape Horn (far left), Table Mountain (center) and Hamilton Mountain (far right).



I should point out that I do this hike regularly, and it is only about 30 miles from my house.  What a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!