May 17, 2010

Hiking with Laura, Spring Break

Laura and I took a two night backpacking and hiking trip in the Columbia River Gorge, during our spring break.  I was concerned that my back would give me trouble, after sleeping on the ground.  But, in fact, my back and neck felt the best they had felt in a long time.  I guess sleeping on the ground isn't that bad after all.

First we went to Catherine Creek.  Located on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, this Forest Service property is known for great sunny weather, terrific wildflower displays, and wide open views.  I've camped here more that any other single place (with the possible exception of the Deschutes River, which also has great weather and big views).  Here's a small field of desert parsley, in a grove of Oregon White Oaks.  This tree is the only oak tree native to Washington State.


The views did not disappoint, of course.  Here's Mt. Hood, over the open grassy fields of Tracy Hill.  



Here's the view to the east, with Rowena Crest on the Oregon side and the Columbia Hills on the Washington side.


We spent a very pleasant evening camping just above a small pond that has been dug into the hill at the location of a small spring.  The fields used to be ranch land, but all the cattle and fences are now gone.  Laura was cold, of course, but she made do.  Here's our room with a view.  


The next morning, we drove back west to a distinctive mountain called Wind Mountain.  It's known for views of the Gorge and for Indian vision quest pits.  It's an important archeological site, and though the trail's not on any maps, there were lots of people on it.  We got one nice person to take a photo of the two of us.  That's Mt. Adams in the distance.


We next drove farther west to the area around Table Mountain.  On a previous hike of Table Mountain, I remember finding a great campsite near Gillette Lake.  I'd had visions of camping there for the last year or two, so I finally got my opportunity this trip.  We walked on the PCT through clear cuts and power line easements.  We got a view of Beacon Rock.  


At Gillette Lake, we could see Hamilton Mtn and Table Mountain.  We headed down and looked for the great campsite.  It wasn't right where I expected it, so I looked around some more.  Still couldn't find it!  We eventually gave up, and found a fine enough place (just not as nice).  


We cooked dinner.  I had read a weather forecast that didn't predict rain, so I initially planned on sleeping under the stars.  After dinner, though, clouds covered up the stars, so I pitched the tarp, while Laura fell asleep.  As soon as I had it pitched, it started raining.  Good timing!  I got into my sleeping bag, and fell asleep.  I woke up again, when I could feel the tarp against my face.  It had fallen down on top of us.  Laura didn't even wake up as I got out of the bag and pitched it up again.  Grad students sure sleep well, huh?  We got up the next morning in light rain that eventually let up as we roused ourselves and walked out.  It was a nice spring break.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!