June 28, 2010

Lake County, Oregon, Day 6: Fossil Lake Sand Dunes

From DeGarmo Canyon I drove quickly (I was searching for cell phone reception so I could let my dad know I was off trail before he sent called in an emergency) over gravel roads back to Christmas Valley. The weather was terrific for driving (lots of ominous clouds and cool temperatures- so much easier to enjoy the scenery when I'm not squinting and worrying about getting sunburn through the windshield). I drove between Rabbit Hills and Coyote Hills, through an area that the BLM seeded with several different kinds of grasses, in an effort to determine what would grow the best for cattle grazing.  I'm very interested in exploring the area of Coyote Hills.  It's listed as a Wilderness Study Area, and though it's probably ineligible for Wilderness designation (several roads and lots of mining history mean that it's not a "natural" enough area) I think it'd be a fascinating place to travel.



From there I drove back to Christmas Valley, and parked on a main road (the road to the trailhead was a muddy mess that would potentially strand my car) near the Sand Dunes. These are the largest inland dunes in the state. They're also a playground for Off-Highway-Vehicles. Luckily for me, this being midweek and rainy, it wasn't crowded.  I only saw a few quads.




There are some plants growing in the sand. Mainly there is greasebush and a few grasses.



Since I was just wandering in the dunes, soaking up sunset light, there's really no need for narration. Here are photos:























Hope you enjoyed.  Next Up- Fort Rock itself.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still with you . . . and enjoying seeing these beautiful spots thru your eyes and your camera. Thanks--

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment!